I am pleased to provide you complimentary one-time access to my published articles as PDF files for your own personal use. Any further/multiple distribution, publication or commercial usage of this copyrighted material would require submission of a permission request to the appropriate journal or publisher.
EXURBAN DEVELOPMENT AND SPRAWL
- An, L., Brown, D. G., Nassauer, J. I., & Low, B. (2011). Variations in development of exurban residential landscapes: timing, location, and driving forces. Journal of Land Use Science, 6(1), 13–32.
- Visscher, R. S., J. I. Nassauer, D. G. Brown, W. S. Currie, D. C. Parker. 2014. Exurban residential household behaviors and values: Influence of parcel size and neighbors on carbon storage potential. Landscape and Urban Planning, Vol. 132, pp 37-46.
- Magliocca, N.R., Brown, D.G., McConnell, V., Nassauer, J.I., and Westbrook, S.E. 2014. Effects of alternative developer decision-making models on the production of ecological subdivision designs: Experimental results from an agent-based model. Environment and Planning, 41.
- Nassauer, J. I., D. A. Cooper, L. L. Marshall, W. S. Currie, M. Hutchins, D. G. Brown. 2014. Parcel size related to household behaviors affecting carbon storage in exurban residential landscapes. Landscape and urban Planning, Vol. 129, pp 55-64.
- Nassauer, J.I., Wang, Z. , Dayrell, E. 2009. What will the neighbors think? Cultural norms and ecological design. Landscape and Urban Planning, Vol. 92, pp 282-292
- Brown, D. G., Robinson, D.T. An, L., Nassauer, J.I., Zellner, M., Rand,W., Riolo, R., Page, S. E., Low, B., Wang, Z. 2008. Exurbia from the Bottom-Up: Confronting Empirical Challenges to Characterizing a Complex System. Geoforum 39: 818-835.
- Fernandez, L. E., Brown, D.G., Marans, R. W., Nassauer, J. I. 2005.Characterizing Location Preferences in an Exurban Population: Implications for Agent-Based Modeling. Environmental Planning B 32:799-820.
- Nassauer, J.I., Allan, J.D., Johengen, T., Kosek, S.E., and Infante, D. 2004. Exurban residential subdivision development: Effects on water quality and public perception. Urban Ecosystems. 7: pp. 267–281
- Nassauer, J.I. 2004. Monitoring the Success of Metropolitan Wetland Restorations: Cultural Sustainability and Ecological Function. Wetlands, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 756–765
ECOLOGICAL BROWNFIELD REDEVELOPMENT
Erdem, M., & Nassauer, J. I. (2013). Design of Brownfield Landscapes Under Different Contaminant Remediation Policies in Europe and the United States. Landscape Journal, 32(2), 277–292.
- Nassauer, J. I. 2012. Design Futures for Industrial Saginaw, UM SNRE, 45 pp.
Metropolitan Design Dynamics Studio selected syllabus and selected student work:
- Low Impact Development in the Rust Belt: Stormwater Management on a Brownfield Site in Flint, Michigan. 2007 Master's Project. Dowdell, Laclergue, Marshall, VanWieren (pictured on Past Students page).
- Flint Futures: Alternative Scenarios for Mixed-Use Brownfield Redevelopment (presentation). 2007 Master's Project. Dowdell, Laclergue, Marshall, VanWieren. Click Here for Full Report.
- Turning Brown into Green: Responding to Soil Contamination and Community Recreation Needs in the Redevelopment of Brownfields for Open Space. 2002 Masters Project of Leiker, McDonough, Morrow, Patrick, Palmquist, Rogers, Verpeet.
- In 2002, we conducted a nationwide survey of industry managers, agency professional staff involved in brownfield redevelopment,and brownfield neighborhood residents. Respondents viewed one of four different questionnaires: each showing a different set of designed alternatives. This is a sample of one of those questionnaires.(Note: The brownfield web-based questionnaire download includes high resolution images and may require more than 5 minutes of download time depending on your connection).